Planning to buy a gun...

Manly Men Talking About Manly Things.
nicolas10

Planning to buy a gun...

Post by nicolas10 »

I'm going to get a subscription to a shooting range within the next month or so, and I plan to purchase a handgun for shooting practise after a few months (the whole process should take me about a year from beginning to being able to own one), and I was considering the HK .45 tactical, as I feel the mark23 will be too big for my hand.

I was wondering is you had any experience with the range of HK USP tactical or not, and which caliber you'd recommend. I'm divided between .40 S&W and .45. If I go for the .45 it has to be the tactical as it's small enough for my frame. But if I go .40 S&W I should be able to handle the regular USP?

Any comments? Has any one of you used a gun from the HK USP range?

Nic
fatman

Re: Planning to buy a gun...

Post by fatman »

Well not having much experiance with handguns apart from a couple of hours with a 1911 i would suggest a ruger mk3 to start off with
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

It will be a USP, I just don't know which one yet.

Nic
fatman

Post by fatman »

Well then go the compact it has the added advantage of being able to use barrel conversion kits so you can get like 3 or 3 guns for the price of one, or go the tactical if you are thinking of going suppressed.
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

I was thinking of a tactical in .45, but I yet have to shoot a .45. I've only shot a 9x19 so far when I was in the army.

The compact is nice but it looks odd if you add a surefire x400 to it, and I might want to do that in the long run.

Ideally I'd get a tactical in .45 with the X400 & silencer, + a compact in .40 S&W; but I don't have the budget for more than one.

The thing is for target practise so I'm going to use whichever I feel most comfortable and looks best.

Nic
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

I bought a USP .40 when they first came out in the US. Really nice gun, if a bit balky and blocky. Definitely very high quality construction and durability, but had a service-gun quality of trigger action, not a super smooth target pistol. Very fast and accurate follow-up shots. If possible, check out the evolutionary improvements to the USP line - the Hk30 and Hk45 - they are very much improved ergonomically, for almost anyone coming from a USP, or most other handguns for that matter. Just pick one up and you'll see what I mean. Better ergs, easier to grip the same and point the same every time. Narrower for slightly easier carrying. They're one of the better looking guns out there too.
Last edited by Barfly on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

If this is only a range gun, I would seriously consider what caliber makes economic sense, including .22 target pistols.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

So far Nic...these folks are throwing you some good advice...
Brace yerself...I'm gonna get a little "wordy" here....

In a handgun, "trigger" control is essential in terms of practical/usable accuracy...
Next in order are good clear "iron" sights...
Third is...it's gotta fit your hand...the better the fit, the better the "trigger control" and point ability.

Nobody makes a combination "double/single" action trigger pistol worth a damn. NO ONE.
Some folks might argue..that a Glock is the exception? However, it is not really a "combination"..it is an exception and a usable unique design.
However, it is not the "best" design...though, a damn good one.

If, you want to shoot a pistol as accurately as possible..trigger control is paramount.
What this means is the trigger when actuating the internal sear (to fire the cartridge) MUST NOT HAVE ANY OVER TRAVEL.
OVER TRAVEL cannot be controlled on a Combo SA/DA trigger system. Which is why I dislike them so much.
Other than flinching, Over travel is the number one reason folks "jerk" the gun when firing it.
Over travel can be eliminated on SA triggers by the use of a "travel" stop (screw) externally on the trigger and sometimes internally depending on the design of the weapon.

Hopefully, you now have some understanding of triggers... :) Apply this advice to any pistol you choose to purchase.

My recommendations for a "suitable" weapon are these:

1911 "Clone" Manufacturer: Kimber...Cal. 45ACP Best known quality to me...SA trigger, easily adjustable for "over travel"...known accuracy. Value for the money.

Ruger MKII or MKIII .22 cal. 5 1/2 to 7 inch barrel length...Target Model...SA trigger, easily adjustable for "over travel"...known accuracy. Value for the money.

You can get parts for these two pistols....anywhere...both are competition proven. Both are relatively affordable.

Pretty much...it seems...which one can you afford to "feed"?

By the way, I own both...however, my .45, I built and its a "one holer" at 25 yds....My MKII is the 3 1/2 bull barrel on the ".45" frame"...
Last comments...finally....The design of the 1911 is more than 100 years old...the design of the Ruger is more than 60 years old...both work so well?
They are arguably, the most popular designs ever built in a Single Action Auto Pistol.

I have worked on handguns for 35 years...hundreds of them which were Police Officers duty weapons...None of what I have written you is from "something" I read somewhere...
It is what I know, have experienced and worked on.

You are the final judge on what is best for you. I hope my advice is of some help.

Good Luck...Pudfark...
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

Well it's going to be a HK design, USP or HK30 or HK45. I'm absolutely not interested in the 22LR guns, what next a pellet gun?

I was wondering what the point was for dual/single action triggers? Why would you need both on a gun?
The USP is available in dual action only with a lighter trigger pull for US law agencies. Some versions (tactical has it) have a match trigger so there is no over travel, or probably much less.

anyway thanks for the info, I will take it into consideration when I chose. I'll try to test the different kind of triggers before shooting.

Nic
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Here's a useful accessory for the "pilgrims...a real must have...particularly for you "charcoal burners".... ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/01/modd ... k1%7C41407

Old Pudfark sez: " A great substitute fer them what don't pay attention.. "