@Buzz

Manly Men Talking About Manly Things.
Pudfark

@Buzz

Post by Pudfark »

Morning Buzz...hope yer settling into the routine and pain management.

On that cap&ball revolver thingy?
At first I thought about trying to acquire the "Ruger" pistol...It's built like a brick shithouse...though, in the past some folks were really proud of them..as in spendy.

Then, I got to thinking...why not just "build" one? As long as the parts are a dab
oversized..it's not a problem for me...fitting and timing revolver actions is "old hat" for me. Is there a kit you could recommend? Maybe a direction you could point me?
Years ago, I did some business with Dixie Gun Works. I'm somewhat familiar with "Uberti" and "CVA". Years ago, 35 of them, I built a CVA .50 muzzel loading "Mountain Man" type single shot pistol...had a "ball" with it and it shot well.

What's a good brand for "caps"?
Powder, black or do they still make a sythetic..like the old pryrodex?
Which do or would you prefer?
Oxyok, I think? Or Crisco?
Back in the day, I bought "Speer" round lead balls in caliber .490, if my memory still serves me? Do they still make'm?

Any way that's a lot of question for the moment....Hopefully, you can answer some of them...cuz, I got more :D
Buzz

Re: @Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Do you want a revolver, or a ML pistol? You can get some nice kits to build for a pistol. None worth spit for a revolver.

Decide that first, and then we can go on.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Definitely a Revolver.
Had a single shot before...it was ok.
If I'm gonna get that dirty....might as well have six bangs vs one.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Ok, then forget a kit. You have three choices. Uberti, Pietta, and a used Ruger. It will depend on a few things on which one you pick. The Ruger is a tough well made gun, but it's not a replica of a real gun. The Pietta guns are better replicas, but still not close. The Uberti guns are exact replicas, and are finished better than the Piettas. It's all I ever owned. When I shot Cowboy Action Shooting I was finicky about details, and wanted the guns to be as close to the real guns as possible.

My choice was Uberti 1860 Colt. Other than loving Colts. The 1860 has a big grip. I've got big hands, and most of the other models have grips that are too small for me.

Before going further. You need to tell what you're going to do with the gun? Just plinking? Competition? Also, do you have a preference in what make, or model you want?

Colt 1860, 1851, Dragoon, Walker
Remington 1858

Rem 1858 and Colt 1851 have small grips.

What's your choice, and then we can move on?
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Thanks fer replying..
Gonna do some google work on what you threw out there....
Off hand...I would really like to find a used Ruger...it's built like a brick shithouse.
They're rarer than chicken teeth around here.

Probably, gonna be an 1860 Colt replica, though, gotta do some more research,
as in parts availability and is the Uberti, really an "exact" replica.

If replacement parts are an issue...I'll take a hard look at the Remington replica.

The use for the choice I make, will be for plinking/fun. This gun will be shot, a lot.
Caliber .44 preferred.

I'll get back to you later today. I'm still working on the overclock of my new CPU.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

The Uberti is so close you can use the parts on a real Colt.

When Colt wanted to make another run of the 1873 Peacemaker. Uberti made the parts for them. This is good and bad. If the original gun had a problem. So, will the Uberti.

One thing to consider. Sights on the Colts are crude, and will shoot high, because that's what the original gun did. They were made for the civil war, and the army wanted them sighted in for 75 yds. Probably farther than you'll shoot, so it will shoot high at shorter distances. It's fixable with a file. Just letting you know.

The Ruger and target versions of the 1858 Rem have adjustable sights. The cylinder also comes off the Rem easily by sliding a pin forward, No tools needed. The Colt has a wedge that needs to be tapped to one side, and then the barrel slides off, and then the cylinder slides off.

The Colt points more naturally. The Rem feels clunky to me. Plus the rem has a small grip that bangs my knuckle on the trigger guard when fired. The 1860 has a big grip the same size as the big Walker. The Walker is fun to shoot, but it's heavy.

Fired caps like to fall into the Colt action binding them up. The Rem is much better for that, and the Ruger hardly ever does it.

You'll pay around $300 for a new Colt, or Rem. A good used Ruger will be around $500.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I have some NOS Colt SAA "lock work" parts...bolt, hands and main springs for a "second generation", post WWII, pistol. Pretty sure won't fit the blackpowder models.

I "pistol smithed" for thirty years...as in, rebuilt, retimed, action jobs on all the major brand single and double action revolvers. My own and many other cops pistols. I also was known for my 1911 and Browning P35 work.

I'm no stranger to making them work... Parts availability is important to me. It's a PITA to have to make them...for sure, when you have to "hand" make'm.

Not tryin to brag about my experience...just tryin to save you some typing. :)

What brand of caps do you find reliable?
Thirty years ago...If I recall correctly, I used fiochi and or remington?

I only used BP back then...what's the preferred brand now?
Is synthetic, as in Pyrodex, still available or recommended?

Hope yer feelin better every day.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Read what I said. The 1873 is not a C&B.

I use Rem #10 caps on a Treso nipples.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Buzz, I do know what a "P" frame model Colt is.... :)

The first generation "tooling" on that frame was worn out, just prior to WWII and Colt quit manufacturing them, because of it.

The second generation tooling was brought out in the early 50's and manufacturing resumed...mainly, due to the popularity of TV and Movie "westerns"...This was also the same time period the Ruger single actions came out. This tooling became worn out in the late sixties and again, Colt quit manufacturing them...That's also when Uberti and some others began making "clones" of them.

Due to demand, Colt again re-tooled and the third generation Colts were born in the middle seventies as to how that tooling held up...I don't know...though, my guess is, it's probably been worn out and maybe replaced.

All of this, I know, because I had to know it...I worked on them, to include my own.
What is the limit to my knowledge? I haven't had to know about them for the last 15 or so years. So, I admit, I don't know about'em for the last 15. Which, is why I'm asking you. Everything you have posted here is true, I know that from my experience and I value your more current knowledge.

I'm a pretty fair hand on 1892 Winchesters....I've owned several of the Rossi copies over the years...in .357 caliber. Which imho is a far better light rifle cartridge, than in a pistol.

Thanks for the Remington cap advice...got it filed away fer future use.
Also big thanx on the Treso nipples..I looked'em up and they're some quality stuff.

Buzz, I truly value your experience and opinions that were "hard earned".
Do you use regular/traditional Black Powder?
What experience do you have with "synthetic" types of Black Powder?

Thanx and give Buddy a tender pat on the head... :)
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Good grief Pud. You asked " is the Uberti, really an "exact" replica"

I tried to tell you it's such an exact copy that Colt gets their parts to build new guns from Uberti. I used the 1873 as an example. The same parts that Colt bought from Uberti are the same parts used in Uberti guns. The parts from an 1860 Uberti will also fit the real Colt 1860's if you can afford one.

I use real BP, and all the subs depending on what i'm doing.