Honest Question for ACWOS Members

No Politics.
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Honest Question for ACWOS Members

Post by Tolwyn »

I'm too lazy to figure it out.

We're going to upgrade the servers finally after several years. You may experience some downtime in the next 3 weeks or so while we get things settled.

But *MY* personal question is this....

How many of you assholes are still using this forum?

I mean, if we're under 15... I'm not seeing a need to keep it active.

We will have an updated forum, and all the spam registration stuff may be solved... but still... time to be honest.
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Re: Honest Question for ACWOS Members

Post by Tolwyn »

I'm just seeing 10 of you guys/gals. (Hi, Chipz).

And it just doesn't seem like a worthy thing to keep this forum open for the same 10 people.
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Post by Tolwyn »

If chipz sends me a PM with a piece of paper that says "I love you tolwyn" with her tits out... I'm sure I can probably keep it open longer.
But here's the rub.

Gang... I pay for this hosting and although I know it doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth, I have to look at, for example, my flight squads that I belong to. We have annual "hey, give $15 per year" to keep the shit running... I'm just kinda burning cash for no reason...
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

look, Tolwyn, if we're being honest here, this is MY two cents:

Bless your heart, lad, you've done well, done much with little resources, and created a special spot on the web which lasted for years. At this point, however, you really have only 8 regular posters, and while I appreciate the 'Chipz with Tits Out' idea as much as the next guy, why bother? If this whole shebang takes more than 10 minutes of your time, I see no point. It isn't about the money. Hell, you know I've offered cash in the past(long past, like back around the Great Divide) to keep the place afloat. But, seriously, why bother? Speaking for myself, I'm down to fecking with a couple assholes, waiting to hear what you've recorded, and batting nonsense around with Fats and Res from time to time. There just isn't the volume here anymore to either stimulate real debate, or(and this has proven, sadly more important) to squelch those who arrived here SOLELY to mess things up, and have driven the last dozen or so regulars away.
All I'd ask is a wee bit of lead time, to be able to coordinate contacts with the three or four individuals I value, and maybe have a going away party, here online. That last part alone might be worth the price of running the server for an extra month.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Post by Tolwyn »

Well, this decision isn't all me. I don't OWN the domain.

But still... maybe a different way to say it is this...

If we updated the forum and mitigated the registration spam... does ANYONE think this will pick up?

Is there a way to make it pick up that we're missing?
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Tolwyn wrote:I'm just seeing 10 of you guys/gals. (Hi, Chipz).
Tolwyn wrote:If chipz sends me a PM with a piece of paper that says "I love you tolwyn" with her tits out... I'm sure I can probably keep it open longer.
Everyone in this shit hole seems to have a crush on my girlfriend. 8-)
But it's well deserved, she's an amazing woman!

But for the record Tolwyn, she's not a "tits out" pic kind of chick. (that I know of)
But I do have a couple of white t-shirt pics of her taken on a chilly day. ;)
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

change that to wet t-shirt picks on a chilly day, and now yer talking!

and, the short answer to Tolwyn's followup question is, NO, I don't think it will pick up. That horse left the barn two or three years back.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

callmeslick wrote:There just isn't the volume here anymore to either stimulate real debate, or(and this has proven, sadly more important) to squelch those who arrived here SOLELY to mess things up
Exactly why I asked Tolwyn a while back to open up the forum again. (but somebody started crying when a few bots showed up)
Tolwyn wrote:If we updated the forum and mitigated the registration spam... does ANYONE think this will pick up?
Yes. But you would have to become an ACTIVE moderator. Keep the politics in politics and the frivolous in frivolous. I'm not saying that you would have to delete shit or ban people ... just move stuff to where it belongs.
I post in several other forums where the mods do that and those forums are thriving.

Open the forum up to new members. Become an active mod (or assign one)
Maybe some of the old crew will return. New members would add new blood.

But bottom line is I agree with Slick. If you can't be an active mod (or have one) ... then you should save yourself the money and close the the store.
But like he said ... give us some time for a farewell.

(Holy shit! This got me thinking. Have I been in here for 14 years! Seriously, I think it's been 14 years!)
Reservoir_Dog

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

BTW ... what is Larry's take on all of this? (does he even still come here?)
ChipznBeer

Post by ChipznBeer »

Tolwyn wrote:(Hi, Chipz)
A great big huggable Hello back at you my sweetheart! :)