Res and Chipz.....

No Politics.
callmeslick

Res and Chipz.....

Post by callmeslick »

.....it's starting look like I should have taken you to Parksley's Confederate Memorial(about a 30 foot statue topped by a single soldier)while it still stood there. It is on a quiet side street and not in any main drag or near any public building, but some folks are gunning for it. Sadly, this is the price we pay to fight Nazis wishing to stir up hate.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Res and Chipz.....

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

This whole business of taking down Confederate statues is fucking ridiculous.
About 97% of all Confederate soldiers who fought in that war didn't own slaves and weren't fighting in order to preserve slavery. They fought out of loyalty to their states. Just like Union soldiers fought out of loyalty to their states.

They should leave those statues were they are. A people should never forget their past.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Res, the backhistory is WAY more complicated. Let me try to explain. The VAST majority of these statues in question were not built in the near aftermath of the war. Lee, when the matter was mentioned in that timeframe said such things were an inpediment to healing. Almost all of them(Parksley included) were erected around 1900(ours was 1899), which, coincidentally, was around the time when Reconstruction had been dismantled, and Jim Crow with new forms of subjugation of the black population came back in force. Along with such prizes as the KKK. So, in most cases these things were slapped up, in very public locations and even by courthouses and capitol buildings, to remind black folks daily that some things were never going to change. Now, in the case of Parksley, nothing grandiose was put up, the monument is on a little side street, with no heroic words, just a memorial to the locals that died. I see no reason it should go, and have never heard any word of complaint.....in fact, more than half the white residents of the county don't even know its there, and it was put in Parksley consciously and not in Accomac, the county seat.
Bottom line, from a distant relative of one of the more popular statue subjects: Most large scale hero monuments, not in historical battlefield parks, and especially those with no real relation to the town they are placed in, should go immediately. Lee's statue in New Orleans? WTF, the man never saw NOLA in his life! Stonewall statues all over the South?? He seldom strayed from Virginia, even during the damned war. Normally, I wouldn't get too worked over the matter, but in my home nation, honest to gawd Nazis are co-opting those statues and Southern Culture into this twisted ideology of active hatred that has to be given the middle finger at any price.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

in keeping with where I'm posting. :lol: :lol: :lol: