Why your automobile or vehicle has poor fuel efficiency.....

ruggbutt

Re: Why your automobile or vehicle has poor fuel efficiency.....

Post by ruggbutt »

There's no consipiracy to keep from creating a 100mpg vehicle. It's just the laws of thermodynamics won't allow it with vehicles that are as heavy as they are.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

jumo, I couldn't get past "why" in your original post.
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: obama.
Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Juha

Post by Juha »

Jumoschwanz wrote:Juha, did you ever read someone's reply to something you wrote and you could tell right off the bat they either did not read it well, did not understand it all, or skipped over parts of it?
Why yes, this is the internet!

And yes, your original post offended my eyes, knowledge and general experience of engines, engineering and the common sense too. :evil:
So I fell for it and answered in a non-personal reply. That's the best you're going to get, regarding this particular subject, from me.

Ps. 1000mpg cars are called solar power cars... or so I believe :mrgreen:
All I ever wanted, was my own way
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I believe that "jumo" is trying to prove that the preponderance of the evidence suggests that a large infusion of hot air leads to increased emissions causing the catalytic converter to overheat. there by exceeding the tail pipe temps and giving everbody a case of the "red arse"..... :roll:....and all of this while driving 60mph in a posted 70 zone...don't ya just love those folks...........

I will refrain from sharing my theory of relativity....... 8-)
HappyHappy

Post by HappyHappy »

"Contrary to the crazy numbers like 25 mpg that have been floating about the Internet these days, the Model T engine is not terribly efficient compared to modern ones. While our measurements are perhaps less than completely scientific, experience indicates that our Ts get about 10-12 miles per US gallon, depending on the countryside. 25 mpg might be possible if the test was all down hill, with a mast and sail affixed and a good tail wind. There ain't no way a Model T Ford gets 25 mph or even close. Your mileage may vary."

The above is from a web site and deserves credit, I will post that as soon as I find it again!

Typical Model T engine in good tune at peak BHP delivered about 5% thermal efficiency.
A good modern high compression V8 will deliver nearly 20% at peak BHP and a automotive Diesel
will be closer to 30%.

There is no conspiracy.

The most efficient piston engines deliver slightly in excess of 50% thermal efficiency.
These are massive diesels in the 1.5 million CID class used as shipping prime movers
and power plant engines.

A notable aside is the most efficient petrol aircraft engines of the WWII era can deliver
20%+ all day long. Sorry but the Merlin is not one of these!
The best were from Wright and P&W. Even the Allison V-1710 had a better brake specific fuel consumption
than the Merlin.

A note to all here.
Want 50 mpg from your small car rated at 35mpg?
First a well driven standard will easily beat a automatic despite
the EPA numbers.
But you must really be at one with your car and know when and how to shift.

Second is slow down!

Don't accelerate up a hill, plan ahead and gradually lose speed as you climb.
By applying power during a climb you can more than double the fuel consumed during the climb.
Use your inertia to carry you through with minimal additional power!

Try to save needed increases in speed for a down hill run if possible.
Avoid stopping, try to time a stop light to avoid stopping.

Use brakes only when needed.

In a fuel injected car with a manual trans try to use the engine
to slow the car before using the brakes.
In a vehicle with a carb this will only dump fuel un burned out the tail pipe! Use the brakes!

The general rule is to use a "soft touch" in power application and braking.

I have tried these techniques and can verify that it works!

The above is in addition to the usual rules of checking tire inflation etc.

HH
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

In other words......common sense