Automation

Deliberation. Discourse. Discussion. Debate.
Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: callmeslick

callmeslick

Re: Automation

Post by callmeslick »

I have friends in economics who see this as akin to the First Industrial revolution. Which turned the entire economic model of the late 18th-early 19th century on its head. Just like that one made capitalism a thing, we're going to need a new model to deal with this change.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

"AI can't replace me, my job requires specialized learning", they say. I say, "Bullshit, watch"

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... four-hours

ponder: it TAUGHT ITSELF CHESS, with NO HUMAN INVOLVEMENT IN LEARNING, in FOUR HOURS.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

callmeslick wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am ponder: it TAUGHT ITSELF CHESS, with NO HUMAN INVOLVEMENT IN LEARNING, in FOUR HOURS.
They built the AI and now they don't even know how it thinks! This is how Skynet got started! :shock:

https://qz.com/865357/we-dont-understan ... hemselves/
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

another component of the future economy, if something doesn't change, will be how 'service' business will tend more and more to service for the wealthy and fuck everyone else. Got a ad today from some online joint, with connections all over with famous restaurants/delis, etc. They will ship a massive range of regional classics from sources around the nation to any address, overnight shipping. So, if you're having a get together and want to serve NOLA muffaletas, with NY thin crust pizza as appetizers, and maybe Maryland crabcakes and Memphis ribs with assorted regional side dishes for dinner, it can be done. Easily. Expensive, but easy. I have seen similar boutique online service businesses aiming at similar clientele. Around here, nowadays, I'd guess that 1/3 of the locals are getting grocery orders home-delivered. It's going to get wierd, people.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Im getting soylent green vibes out of this thread :shock:
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

About a week ago I saw a riding lawn mower cutting the grass around a medical building. There was no one riding it. I watched it for a few minutes and it did a perfect circle around a tree.