Automation

Deliberation. Discourse. Discussion. Debate.
Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: callmeslick

HappyHappy

Re: Automation

Post by HappyHappy »

A few billion more people in the world and a food shortage.....
Decimation in the literal sense. That is 10 percent dead for
you Democrats that claim 93 million gunshot deaths a day.

Civilized People will become VERY uncivilized and eat each other.

It's in our nature.

No politician has the balls (outside of China) to
limit human reproduction.

And you are 100% correct Pudster. The level of
automation and tech will not roll back for anything
short of total annihilation of the Human species.

Forward we go. We will continue to progress into the future. :lol:
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

well, an interesting mix of abject doom and complete hope there, between the two of you. I'd like to see some sort of attempt to sort shit out a bit more organized than a societal collapse, but, I'm not about to argue anything either of the above two posters forsee.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Came across this one this morning.
There are towns up here in Canada that are projected to lose close to 50% of their jobs due to automation. 50%!

http://globalnews.ca/news/3511940/small ... lost-jobs/
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

callmeslick wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 pm well, an interesting mix of abject doom and complete hope there, between the two of you. I'd like to see some sort of attempt to sort shit out a bit more organized than a societal collapse, but, I'm not about to argue anything either of the above two posters forsee.
An interesting experiment to conduct might be.....buy a one gallon size gold fish bowel....put two gold fish in it....every week add two more gold fish....see what (will) happen. It still won't matter how much free stuff ya give the gold fish.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Reservoir_Dog wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm Came across this one this morning.
There are towns up here in Canada that are projected to lose close to 50% of their jobs due to automation. 50%!

I saw an interesting (facet) part of that article....it seems to indicate, the solution may (prolly is) automation/robots will do the work for the government and the only work folks will have....is for/with the government as in little to no private industry jobs. I respectfully disagree, until them robots start playing hockey. ;)
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Pudfark wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 pm
callmeslick wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 pm well, an interesting mix of abject doom and complete hope there, between the two of you. I'd like to see some sort of attempt to sort shit out a bit more organized than a societal collapse, but, I'm not about to argue anything either of the above two posters forsee.
An interesting experiment to conduct might be.....buy a one gallon size gold fish bowel....put two gold fish in it....every week add two more gold fish....see what (will) happen. It still won't matter how much free stuff ya give the gold fish.
that's called population dynamics. Remember, Pud, I have two degrees in this stuff. I get the principle, and I know there are about a thousand variables to keep it from being that simple. Still, at the end of the day, the human populaton has to be seen as the overriding issue even WITHOUT automation making them all useless.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Reservoir_Dog wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm Came across this one this morning.

and that's rosy, with assumptions that public sector will pick up the slack. Something often overlooked, and I still say 50% is underestimating the end point, is that forever we have calculated self-worth around whether we got up to do a job everyday. What happens to the psyche, and the ethics of a populaton without that mooring? I heard a lead-in on Public Radio this AM, but got too busy doing errands to catch the story. The guy being interviewed was a legislator who is proposing legislation to address what he called, "uncommitted youth". In the current US, he estimated 10-15 million people between 18 and 26 who neither have employment nor ongoing education. Rightly, he views that as a recipe for social unrest, crime and cost to society simply to maintain them in whatever fashion(jail is maintenence or one example of that). Right now, that small block of humanity is estimated to cost the US around 100 billion dollars in the next 5-6 years alone. Imagine picking up the tab for TEN TIMES that many folks. We're going to have to(we referring to those of us who still get to have income), or we're going to have to wall ourselves from the masses, and that never goes well.
HappyHappy

Post by HappyHappy »

There used to be a few hundred light house keepers and
the US Coast Guard used to operate LORAN stations with
service and civilian personel. all are out of a job...
Quite a long time ago GPS replaced all of them.

As to your 50%??? Send em LUGGAGE.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

thoughtful gesture, but where would they move to? Same place as the 60% that will be out of work in the US? :shock:
HappyHappy

Post by HappyHappy »

You sound like the idiot Governor that claimed that 93 million people die from gun violence every day.

60% garbage, 100% pure horseshit.