Baseball Brain teaser

The New England Patriots suck! Discuss.
callmeslick

Baseball Brain teaser

Post by callmeslick »

....who has thrown the most Series ending pitches in World Series history? My pal Myron tossed this out on FB this morning. No definitive answer located yet, my guess was Bob Gibson.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Baseball Brain teaser

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

That's a bit of an open ended question. He doesn't say if the pitcher's team won or lost the series. You can throw the series ending pitch, but lose the series.

Either way, I'm thinking it's got to be someone who spent a good amount of time playing for the New York Yankees. And it won't be a starting pitcher, it will be a relief pitcher. (Bob Gibson was a starting pitcher)

My guess would be Mariano Rivera. (dude went to 7 World Series and won 5 of them, and had 12 saves in World Series games) He must have made the last pitch in a few of those.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Reservoir_Dog wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:39 pm That's a bit of an open ended question. He doesn't say if the pitcher's team won or lost the series. You can throw the series ending pitch, but lose the series.
something it took me three posts to get through to Myron. He just asked or wondered who had thrown the final pitch in the most Series. We still don't have the answer.
Either way, I'm thinking it's got to be someone who spent a good amount of time playing for the New York Yankees. And it won't be a starting pitcher, it will be a relief pitcher. (Bob Gibson was a starting pitcher)
sound logic, BUT, you may not know this little fact about Mr. Gibson. He started in 9 World Series games. He completed 8 of them. That is why he may actually hold the record.
My guess would be Mariano Rivera. (dude went to 7 World Series and won 5 of them, and had 12 saves in World Series games) He must have made the last pitch in a few of those.
very popular guess, but apparently wrong. Will post if Myron ever yields the answer, or anyone does.......
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Well, if it ain't Rivera ... then I'd guess it would be either Mike Stanton or Jeff Nelson.

And if ain't one of those two, then I have no idea.
FarSide

Post by FarSide »

Whitey Ford.