CLoD

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Soapy

CLoD

Post by Soapy »

Got 15 mins in a 110 for a while but forgot to screenie it ( print screen, but in steam f12 adds pics to the Steam cloud too )

Stutters a bit so I'm going to turn down all the ground stuff and shadows even more and keep the planes to medium.

Running a q6600 intel, 8800GT and 2 gig ram on XP home so not the best rig for this game.

I bought the game via steam and to get it past the loading screen had to right click on the game in steam, and verift game integrity of files ( shouldn't have to do this on a new game, but hey ho )

I doesn't detect my joystick so I had to manually set it up in the controls section.

So I will be able to run the game until I get a new rig, but it will look pretty bad.

I'm off to see what else I can do to stop the stutters and check the error log for all the launcher failures I'm getting.
Soapy

Re: CLoD

Post by Soapy »

Actually, it runs better than I'd expected on my rig, after some messing around with the vid settings ingame. Despite the multiple posts at Ubi about mid to high end systems being unplayable etc, I'm on mission 5 of the RAF campaign. With 3 kills and a few good hits too. ( you get a percentage after each mission telling you how much damage you did to each plane )

I guess trying a game, them changing a setting, then trying it again is beyond a lot or people with high end systems :lol:

Does take a few reboots to get it right, and also no matter how large your HD is, it won't matter if your o/s is on a partition with no swap space.

Biggest issue after launcher crash, is that the game won't end after exit. So you have to use 3 fingers and task manager ( shock horror!! ) to end the crappy music.

Frame rates are not at all like il2 1946, stutters happen ( use the pause button and wait em out ) but I'm guessing that if I can get 20-30fps in the merge and turnfight, land 4 times out of 5 and not be confused by the massive ( and I mean massive ) amount of keys you could use. Then this game might be quite good. :)

I do think that making 1 core do most of the work, then the other 1 ( or 3 ) take up the slack is a bit poor. 50 percent of your cores should be maxed out on 1 process type and the others should be doing supplimentary stuff like sound or collision detection. But I'm not a programmer so no expert.
Hnef

Post by Hnef »

Hi there!
So you like it? Recommend it?

I had nearly no time for flying in the last 2 years, but I think about getting it. From what I've read about complex engine management it looks promising. Not for my flying/Landing skills, but just for fun.

For the negative things: I guess and hope, that Oleg, Luthier et al will sort them out, just as they did in the past...

Building a new rig now, as my good, very old, trusted computer is ready for retirement after 8 years, where only the graphicscard was upgraded twice.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

Soapy wrote:land 4 times out of 5 and not be confused by the massive ( and I mean massive ) amount of keys you could use. Then this game might be quite good.
That's what a good HOTAS is for.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Kira1985

Post by Kira1985 »

All I'm gonna say is I don't feel like spending a couple thousand bucks every 2 years on a high end rig to play a buggy and badly optimized game like IL2. I think I've had enough of it, until someone finds a way to make money out of thin air. I'm happy playing Air Rivals and BF Bad Company 2 on a Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, 2GB ram and a 256MB video card.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Here is a link to a CLOD video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7IM-sd6rpQ

It's damn well worth watching....

It now appears to be "playable".... :D
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Hnef : I like it but I don't like all the messing about to get the game to last longer than 30 mins before I need to reboot. :)

Ruggie : HOTAS or not, the game doesn't assign the stick profile so you have to manually do it, or find a good config that someone else has posted and try/adapt that.

Pud : Yup some people are having a better time than others, "playable" is a bit variable depending on many factors. Some people with cutting edge machines purpose built for this game are struggling, while the next guy on a medium laptop is getting plenty of game time.

US and Canucks should be happy about the Beta testing us Euros are doing until it comes out on the 16th, when the North American flight simmers get the game en masse, I'm sure that's when the real fixes will happen. The sheer numbers of players from that region will force the devs to react and the community to find the root causes simply because the test bed will be 10 times larger.

People like Gibbage ( who used to post here and knows what he is talking about gamewise ) are posting some salient stuff about the game being unfinished, and I have to agree with them on many points. I've just invested so much hope in this title to replace the original that, so far I will mess around with settings etc and be happy to get a few offline flights in, for now.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Soapy wrote:US and Canucks should be happy about the Beta testing us Euros are doing until it comes out on the 16th, when the North American flight simmers get the game en masse,
I was supposed to pick up my pre-order on the 19th...but the store now says the release will not come until the 26th! Feckers !!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Reservoir_Dog wrote:
Soapy wrote:US and Canucks should be happy about the Beta testing us Euros are doing until it comes out on the 16th, when the North American flight simmers get the game en masse,
I was supposed to pick up my pre-order on the 19th...but the store now says the release will not come until the 26th! Feckers !!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Might be fixed by then mate.

In the meantime you might as well DL steam as you need that to activate and run the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Regardless of if you have a digital download or DVD.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

I'll be back at the zoo in a couple of days. They gave me 2 weeks off cuz I verbally bitch slapped someone who had his nose up Oleg's sphincter.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum