Dipped my toe back in ( offline )

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Soapy

Dipped my toe back in ( offline )

Post by Soapy »

Out of boredom I decided to fire up Il2 1946 again today ( also reading "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose got me in the mood ).

Did the stock Dauntless SP then got bored so went to Mission4today and DL'd some offline campaigns.

On my rig I can run the game at max settings and get crazy FPS. What has surprised me though is how quickly I remembered all my keys/controls. First carrier take off I wobbled a tad then got off the deck, did a few landings too :)

Not sure about online though, I always preferred playing with a few people on TS/Vent etc with mid realism and just for fun.

I had been playing Rise of Flight for a bit ( great WW1 sim BTW ) but lost interest. Perhaps it's nostalgia and being able to play the game with decent graphics that made me fire it up today?

Right now I'm going to play a skip bombing B-25 campaign ( Out of the mist, DL'd from M4T ) and see how that goes.

I doubt we will ever get enough people together for some online, but offline this game is still one of the best.

p.s. Cliffs of Dover is still shite, even on my uber machine I can't be arsed playing it :)
Pudfark

Re: Dipped my toe back in ( offline )

Post by Pudfark »

I hear that Soapy.
Mark me down for agreeing with what you wrote about CloD
and the IL2-1946.
I sure miss co-ops and the camaraderie/team work.

The ruskies at 1C have really perpetrated a fraud on everybody.
I've owned it for 16 months. It's arguably as broke now, as it was,
when I bought it. You're right, it don't matter what system you run
it on. It don't work.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

My opinion on CLoD is that they spent so much time on stuff that didn't matter ( i.e. ground objects etc ) that PCs and Video cards moved on in at least 3 massive leaps so they had to go back and re model stuff over and over.

A flight sim should be about the flight dynamics, damage model, immersion and playability. Add on some scalability so that even a lower end PC can at least play the game and you are sorted.

When I'm in a DF at 8,000 feet, I don't care how real a truck or Bofors gun looks. I want to feel like I'm flying in combat. Even if he graphics suck my imagination and immersion will cover that aspect.

CLoD was too long in development and too long in release now with no proper fixes.

I'm really enjoying some of these custom missions. Can't beat flying a B-25 through bad weather, then doing some skip bombing, getting bounced on the way home, and landing on one engine. It might not look realistic, but it feels it.

I'm going to get a 24 inch monitor next week just to play Il2 offline. I'm enjoying it that much I have diverted some beer tokens for the purchase 8-)
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Again, in total agreement with ya. :)
I've been using a Samsung HD260 26"
for the last few years @ 1920x1200.
I sure wish it had a faster refresh rate than
60hz...may save for a 120-240hz monitor in the future.

Have been using a EVGA GTX570 HD with 2.5gig vram as well.
I need to get back to 1946 IL2...been wanting to do that, just been lazy.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

My PC from last year is a Quad core AMD ( can't recall how fast but it's never ever had issues so it's "uber" fast ) Vid card is an AMD 6950 ( I can unlock it to 6970 speeds but no need as yet ), 8 gig of ram.

Right now on a 4:3 19 inch it's not putting any strain on the PC, the 24 inch might or might not.

I was hoping to get a Samsung syncmaster or equiv, but my bonus is down a month due to illness so I'm going with Acer ( current monitor is an Acer, 8 years old never had any issues, still bright as a button. ).

I might need to budget for a flight stick if I keep playing, using a MS Sidewinder2 ( non FFB) which has ran like a champ since I got that maybe 10 years or so ago..

Did a few Hellcat missions, popped some Zeros and landed on the carrier twice, mission 3 I had to ditch as I had been shot up pretty bad.