Great sim!

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Great sim!

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

I've had this game for about a month now and I'm having a blast with it!
Great graphics. Excellent sound. Good flight models. Great game play!

The on-line play is a bit spotty right now. Only 2 or 3 servers up at any given time, but I'm sure that will change as the game catches on.
But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the off-line play! This is a state of the art game! You'll need a good rig to run it with all the settings maxed, but even at half max settings it still plays well.

The game only comes with 4 planes and any extra planes you want have to be purchased and downloaded. (that's a bit cheezy as it's not mentioned on the box) but you can get by just fine with the 4 planes included as they are very good planes.
You get the:
Spad XIII
Fokker D.VII
Albatros D.Va
Nieuport 28

If you can't shoot something down using those planes.....buying new planes won't help you!

The one thing I love about this game is that it doesn't have a "Wonder Woman" view. It does have a fly-by view, but other than that you are in cockpit at all times!
Believe me, when you shoot down a plane in this game.....you earned it!
There is a gun convergence scale in the game, but I don't know why. Sit on the runway in any plane and just fire the guns and watch the tracers. They go here, there and everywhere! (as I'm sure it was in real life)
Again, when you get a kill in this game.....you've earn it!

I highly recommend this sim to anyone who's looking for something new to fly!
DKoor

Re: Great sim!

Post by DKoor »

You bought S.E.5(a)?
I'm interested to know whether you can move that upper wing Lewis gun... historically those clever Tommies would sneak up on Jerries from below and just rake their A/C with upper gun mount :twisted: .
Reservoir_Dog

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

DKoor wrote:You bought S.E.5(a)?
No. I'm on holidays right now and haven't been home since the add-on came out.
But I might. It's only 7 bucks for a plane.....and what the Hell.
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

TTIWWP
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

The game looks good, think I may pick this one up.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Given that every new plane (at this point) is going to ccost $7.50 USD. Do you feel it is a good price structure? If they release 20 planes you are looking at $150 just to add those planes.
Reservoir_Dog

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Bouncer wrote:Given that every new plane (at this point) is going to ccost $7.50 USD. Do you feel it is a good price structure? If they release 20 planes you are looking at $150 just to add those planes.
You don't need every plane.
If you're a decent pilot you can get buy just fine with the original 4 planes and maybe a couple of others.
You don't have to buy everything they put out.
MiloMorai

Post by MiloMorai »

DKoor wrote:You bought S.E.5(a)?
I'm interested to know whether you can move that upper wing Lewis gun... historically those clever Tommies would sneak up on Jerries from below and just rake their A/C with upper gun mount :twisted: .
No you can't move the Lewis gun. You can't even use the stab trim.

Check out the SimHQ board
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/f ... Great.html
TX-Thunderbolt

Post by TX-Thunderbolt »

MiloMorai wrote:No you can't move the Lewis gun. You can't even use the stab trim.
Not yet. That tidbit was clarified by the beta testers before release and it will be implemented.

System requirements definitely are stout and this sim can even lay a hurt on a good quad core. Under normal circumstances I get frames in the high 50's on my system (specs below), but we've put together a small, dirty stress test that will bring even the strongest machine to its knees. Despite the hardware recommendations, you don't need Deep Blue to run it and a good dual core system that runs IL2 at highest settings will run RoF just fine.

I run it at 1920x1200 with forced AAx2 and AFx4. Frames are often in the 70's and have gone as low as low 30's in extremely busy missions with many aircraft in a small vicinity and AAA popping off all about.

Multiplayer is currently limited to coop style of play and it does have its drawbacks. Nonetheless, there are some decent servers up right now and popping your RoF online cherry is easy and painless...comparatively. :mrgreen:

There are numerous things slated for patch-fix and release in September.

Some will love it and some will hate it. Personally, the flight physics are the best of any flight sim I've ever flown and I've flown just about all of them over the last 20+ years of flight-simming. It's not perfect and there are some tweaks that need to be looked at regarding gyroscopic precession and P-factor. Those notwithstanding, it has enormous potential. The 4 aircraft included in the stock game are competitive and all you need to start. The SE5a is a crowd favorite though and something you'll be flying against if you go online as a german in the Fokker DVII or Albatros DVa.

I like it.

My specs:
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz @ 1523mhz
XFX GTX285 Black Edition 1GB
X-Fi Titanium Champion Fatal1ty
VRaptor 300GB - boot sector
Seagate 500GB 32MB cache - data/games
Juha

Post by Juha »

Funny thing, I found my name on the Credits (Special Thanks) of the game, and I have no good idea why it's there. 8-)

And no, I don't think that they ment somebody else.
All I ever wanted, was my own way