There's a new IL2 in town...

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Pudfark

There's a new IL2 in town...

Post by Pudfark »

If you're interested?
Go here....
http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/index.php?
DKoor

Re: There's a new IL2 in town...

Post by DKoor »

Sure I am.
But for now I'm busy flying thru the RoF skies 8-) .

RoF is really a neglected gem.
Sure costs a lot but those cost keep the "machine ticking" regular updates and stuff.

People can forget about free concept that obviously ain't gonna lead us anywhere.
Even if it "worked" or quite some time.

And quite frankly all that bitching about ROF cost is a bit annoying... who says someone has to fly just about everything in the game?
In reality you fly 3-4 planes 90% of the time.
Those 3-4 cost less than $20 during sales.
So I don't see a problem there.

Hope BoS will have exact same winning concept as ROF. 8-)
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I just bought the "ICE" copy of ROF the day before....installed it yesterday...gonna give it a whirl tonight...I hope.

I've never expected a free ride from anybody on any game/sim.
If the ROF business model is the only way to support our "habit", I have no
problem ponying up my share.

I had about $1600 in CloD. Paying for ROF to support BOS is my intent. I'd much rather pay for something that works.

You may see me on line as "Pudfark"....after you quit laughing...pls to put me down quick.. If you know of any direct links to get me up to speed, they sure would be appreciated. I have gone through the ROF forums looking for things, though it seems info is sorta splattered throughout. Any help/guidance appreciated. Thanks
DKoor

Post by DKoor »

RoF is a great game within its limitations.
As far as air simulations go, I haven't seen any better.

It's like IL-2 but more detailed and subtle.

I like for instance that you can actually damage stuff and not only 1 or 0 (alive or dead state), for instance ships, cars etc. 8-)

Here is one useful link:

http://riseofflight.com/en/community/usefulmaterials

...search for:
Skins *.jpg to *.dds thumbnails conversion pack
RoF Official Skinspack v.1.028
...download and install that and you will have much more skins to choose from. Official ones.

I also highly suggest that you get SPAD 7 plane (you actually get 150 and 180HP variants at once) because those planes are FAST and you can fly them for most of the war. The best buy plane to put it that way. Not a good idea tho if you plan to exclusively fly for Central Powers.
CP doesn't have some good scout that is flyable thru most of the war, I think that Albatros 5 may be the next best thing.
But apart from really nice handling it doesn't have some great performance char's.
Best Allied scout is Sopwith Camel (best scout in game overall, no question about it, it's like Spitfire on steroids to put it in IL-2 terms) and best CP scout is Fokker D.VIIF.
Best BnZ'ers are S.E.5a and SPAD 13. Both are good as long as you don't tnb with CP scouts, and both can carry bombs.

R.E.8 (allies) is also a good investment along the DFW CW (if you prefer Central Powers), those are also flyable thru most of the war.
Be aware that Allies have the best two seaters, they are very very fast almost as fastest Central Powers scouts (fighters).

I recommend those planes.

ROF community is also very helpful so you can ask whatever you need over there without hesitation.
I can testify that ROF has godlike tech support, whenever I sent a mail to them they sorted out my problems. :)
All in all, very pleased with purchasing this game (and about 80-90 of its content).

Can't wait to see this map going live:
http://riseofflight.com/en/store/maps/channelmap
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Thanks DKoor...that was exactly what I was hoping for.

I know that took a bit to write... I am most appreciative of your time and efforts.
I will put them to good use. :)

I've always been a T&B fella...Spad7, Okie Dokie :D
DKoor

Post by DKoor »

No prob mate. 8-)

I'm afraid that SPAD is anything but TNB fighter :( .
It's energy fighter as most "speedies" are and don't really turn all that good... second best on allied side would be perhaps Nieuport Ni.17, also was used for quite long time but perhaps not long as SPAD 7 but is a nimble little fighter which can certainly held it's own vs. Central Power scouts.
My tactic in SPAD 7 is dive aim fire and fly away. Unless I really cripple E/A at the first pass - only then I can stay and play.
Good thing about SPAD 7 is that nothing on German side can't catch on equal terms fight, only if German has loads and I mean loads of energy and altitude. SPAD 7 is also quite robust fighter meaning it will take a few rounds more to die in comparison to his contemporary canvas friends.
Along with lack of TNB capabilities another shortcoming of SPAD is armament - only one 7,62 MG.

Best turning fighters on allied side are Sopwiths (Pup and Camel) those can turn around the telephone pole. In sustained turning :shock: .
Fokker Dr.I is also extremely good at these things.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

So far, so good....I've taken a few short hops. Learning curve is a dab different, though quite acceptable. Graphics are better than others have remarked. Probably will be a bit before I go online as the lead magnet, lawn dart or the flaming sparrow.

Over all, I like it. Thanks DKoor for your help.
DKoor

Post by DKoor »

I recommend that you take a two seater (if possible) online.
At least for beginning... later on you can convert to scouts (just like many real pilots did back then :mrgreen: ).

You will find that you fly your missions with dedicated goal and it doesn't take a Richthofen skills to do it.
That IMO makes it very interesting especially for newcomer.
And besides you can down overzealous enemy fighter easily especially with 2xLewis at rear, especially if you can hold him at distance, it is dangerous if he overtakes you from above - in such scenarios you are practically a cannon fodder regardless of how good your (AI) gunmen at rear is. Sometimes some folks will try to join in to fly as your rear gunner.
Unless you know those people, I recommend that you lock rear gunner position to prevent joining. In 90% humans are much worse gunners than AI.

Another thing... pay very close attention to your payloads!
Doesn't matter if you are flying scout or a two seater, bringing more ordnance with you (more bombs or guns) will sometimes significantly reduce your plane flying char's so it can really impair your chances of survival.
This game is very "anal" to say the least about this.
Believe it or not, today I flew a Nieuport 17 with upper wing Lewis mount.
When I pulled it back to my cockpit for reload (change of bullet magazine) Nieuport actually lost some 5km/h speed!
I could hardly believe my eyes! So I repeat this, switched gun back and forth and it actually plays part (albeit small) in aircraft speed! Unbelievable. :shock:
So don't be surprised if people can defeat you in duels with same aircraft - they are bringing in less fuel, less machine guns rockets and bombs than you. :)
Dedicated duelers take as little as 7-10% fuel and one MG (say Sopwith Tripe) which makes them very light and agile with extreme rate of climb.
Offline, you can of course down a scout in bomber so... scout AI is still dumarse stumpid. Same as old IL-2.

Anyway - good luck mate, whatever you do 8-) .
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Good advice.
Been flying flight sims since the middle 80's...IL2 for more than ten years.
IRL I owned a flew my own tail dragger....a C170A.
For sure I will take your recommendations.
Salute :)