Downloading Premium edition of IL2: Battle of Stalingrad.

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Barfly

Re: Downloading Premium edition of IL2: Battle of Stalingrad

Post by Barfly »

I've played it a lot in the last week, that's about it. Wil probably play a bit more over the next few months. Looking forward to extra content and the FMB in the release version...
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I'll give it a google....might give it a whirl?
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

War Thunder is definitely worth checking out Pud, expecially once you set it up properly. IMO it's a better mix of sim and game than any WW2 effort out there, by a good margin, including what's being developed. Gaijin can't do everything, but it's a huge team and what they have done is very well researched and thought out. Difference in combat between many of the completed FMs is very believable, handling and effects at the limit of the envelope are spectacular (though ground handling kinda sucks like IL2!!).

Some of the IL2 BOS forum comments indicate that folks don't understand that ALL PC flight sims are part game, part sim, and a variety of PC view and input compromises. BoS so far has some really good stuff, particularly the beautiful aircraft in and out, animations on aircraft, some sounds and effects. FM in the normal flight regime is very poor - they really need to find some better feedback on stability and control of aircraft from that era... all but a few of then era combat aircraft had very evolved stability and control parameters that aren't being represented. Just my opinion ;0. Right now the Lagg and Me feel like a lot of incorrect guesswork for handling; they either need better aero formulae or much better pilot input or even better understanding of aero and pilot reports.

I always wondered how accurately 777's WW1 sim modeled flight physics... it is certainly better and more detailed than anything before it, and without experience on anything like that IRL, the flying still seemed a bit off in some fundamental ways. BoS is for sure weird in the air... though the behaviour on the ground is spectacular.. go figure.

G
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

Alright I'm watching the DCS WWII Europe 1944 presentation by luther.

I was sold soon as I saw the D9.

N
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Two weeks. Be sure. :lol:
nicolas10

Post by nicolas10 »

I'm less sold. while the thing seems nice. There are nowhere near enough unflyable planes to make for realistic battles.

Nic
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Pudfark wrote:Thanx...

I do follow it fairly closely on their forums and have much appreciation for those willing to alpha test it now....and yeah you too, R_D.

I do see myself buying it slightly before it's released.

I have ROF and a very basic understanding of the sales concept. I ain't a huge fan of it...but, that won't be a deal breaker for me. I really am looking forward to it...I sure miss the good old days in HL with a thousand players on line....Hopefully, this will catch on quickly. :)

So come on R_D...what's yer take on it?
Well....I broke down and bought the premium (gold) version a couple of hours ago....BOS is to be released in September this year. Might as well get a head start on it... ;)

I will say this... I downloaded the IL2_setup file 338 meg at 60-110 kbs and it took about an hour...that really toasted my doritos...WTF @ twice the speed of a dial up connection. It should have been my normal 1100 kbs. So, I'm waiting until late tonight...to download the game in it's entirety. R_D...just so ya know....look for "Pudfark" in the friendly skies....same there, as it is here. :)