The attack at Ft. Hood

callmeslick

Re: The attack at Ft. Hood

Post by callmeslick »

murder is wrong, no matter who does it. To try(probably in vain) to return to old Pudster's original point, it does point up some disturbing issues about military security stateside.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

from some major news outlet:

An Army psychiatrist opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing 12 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said.

The gunman, identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was wounded multiple times at the scene but was captured alive and was in stable condition, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, said at a press conference late Thursday.

Eleven of the victims died at the scene, military officials said. A 12th died later at a hospital, NBC station KCEN-TV of Waco reported. Cone said that most of those shots were military but two were civilians.

U.S. officials said Hasan was an Army psychiatrist who had been promoted to major in May, NBC News reported. Defense officials said Hasan, 39, arrived at Fort Hood in July after practicing for six years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, which included a fellowship in disaster and preventive psychiatry.

Cone also said that a female first responder shot Hasan and was herself wounded and was being treated in a hospital. Cone said that Hasan was in custody at a hospital and that his death was not imminent.

Hasan was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq on Nov. 28, officials said. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said military officials had told her that Hasan was “pretty upset” about his deployment orders.

The Associated Press, quoting federal law enforcement officials, said Hasan had come to their attention at least six months ago because of Internet postings that discussed suicide bombings and other threats. The officials said they were still trying to confirm that he was the author.

One of the Web postings that authorities reviewed is a blog item that equates suicide bombers with a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save the lives of his comrades. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

Medical records on file in Virginia, where Hasan was born and was registered to practice, and Maryland, where he received his medical degree at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, revealed no disciplinary actions or formal complaints.

Cone said the gunman used two handguns. He said that military officials believed that there was a single shooter.

Two other soldiers were taken into custody after the shooting, but Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, said they were released.

point of red quotes....why was he promoted, if the FBI was investigating him by May?
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

The FBI was investigating him because of his ragheadish tendencies. Another thing to consider, psychiatrists are almost always more fecked up than the patients they're seeing.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Slap me silly folks...and I am sure some of you will...and I will take it like a man...I am man enough to say this....While Slick and I have our "political differences" and have a recent history of dancing around the issues....all of that was on other threads...the intention of this thread was not per se Political....It was to raise, stimulate awareness of the condition of our military....Without a strong and reliable military...our opinions about our own politics will become moot...because, the politics of another will soon be imposed on all of us...and we will have no rights what so ever at that point......

The Roman "dynasty" was lost for one reason...and it wasn't greed, avarice or debauchery...although they were contributing factors...when the Roman Army failed...Rome failed....and we will also....unless drastic non-political changes are made immediately in our military... This is now our country's most important problem to resolve...and I can't believe I'm going to say this...I don't care if it means we have to pull everybody out of Iraq and Afghanistan....our national security must come first. We, all of us, must pull together to ensure that our military has the proper leadership, manpower, equipment, training and control to insure our future...

I suggest, respectfully, that some of you re-read my initial post and Slick's posts....and that everybody put the past aside for a bit....cuz this ain't the time to roll along as if nothing has happened today.....In my opinion (based on life experience) what occurred at Ft. Hood will have a greater impact on this country and its future...than all of what occurred on 9-11-2001.....

I was going to send Slick a pm...thought about it...and it seemed cowardly to me...not to say it in public view....here it is: Slick, I appreciate your through read of my post and putting differences aside, to make it known to me and others, that you understood my concerns about our military and its importance to us all. Salute Sir.....

Old Pudfark sez: Tuff shit....I said it and I meant it....~S~
JoeA

Post by JoeA »

Well said Pudfark.

Oh and shrinks are pretty fucked up.... :?

Horrible business all around.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

well said, Pudfark, and thanks....this shit matters to ALL of us, and I agree that this points up real issues to
address, as a nation(i.e.: not as 'liberals' or 'conservatives'). In a way, it speaks to one of my main points over the years, that if the nation continues the divisiveness and fingerpointing and blaming of outsiders, we are well on our way to ruin. In another thread a week or so ago, I mocked Ruggie when he stated flatly that the US is the only superpower in the world. We aren't, and can be seen as sowing the seeds to guarantee that we won't even be a real force to be reckoned with, down the road. If you don't think other nations don't look at something like this and quietly gloat with satisfaction, you have a real rosy view of how the real world works.
Morbid Jester

Post by Morbid Jester »

callmeslick wrote:

point of red quotes....why was he promoted, if the FBI was investigating him by May?
Innocent until proven guilty?

Besides, if the FBI was looking into his case, I doubt they'd have informed the Army. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they would not have to in the first place, thus the promotion.
Twitter is an inevitable phenomenon of the generation ADS & SMS: Too lazy for a complete letter, too stupid for a complete sentence and too "cool" for the proper use of grammar.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

In my experience (27 years US Army 6 years Army civilian) politics and political correctness is tearing down the cohesiveness of the military. Things like gays in the service, it will not work! The "don't ask don't tell" policy is as close as you can get if both parties stick to it and it stays black and white with no gray areas. Females need to be dealt with in a different way also. Muslims in the military should be vetted different than the main stream recruit. When the FBI started their look in to this Major they should have informed the Army so that they could keep him on a tight rope. Pudfark has some very real concerns about our military.
Now we have demonstrable evidence that if you try to lead from behind, eventually the guys up front will stop looking back for instructions.
Government-coerced expression is a feature of dictatorships that has no place in a free country
JoeA

Post by JoeA »

Darkhorse wrote:In my experience (27 years US Army 6 years Army civilian) politics and political correctness is tearing down the cohesiveness of the military. Things like gays in the service, it will not work! The "don't ask don't tell" policy is as close as you can get if both parties stick to it and it stays black and white with no gray areas. Females need to be dealt with in a different way also. Muslims in the military should be vetted different than the main stream recruit. When the FBI started their look in to this Major they should have informed the Army so that they could keep him on a tight rope. Pudfark has some very real concerns about our military.
+1 The military is not about PC.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Darkhorse wrote:In my experience (27 years US Army 6 years Army civilian) politics and political correctness is tearing down the cohesiveness of the military. Things like gays in the service, it will not work! The "don't ask don't tell" policy is as close as you can get if both parties stick to it and it stays black and white with no gray areas. Females need to be dealt with in a different way also. Muslims in the military should be vetted different than the main stream recruit. When the FBI started their look in to this Major they should have informed the Army so that they could keep him on a tight rope. Pudfark has some very real concerns about our military.

Good points based on your experience. Still, the OP speaks to other issues, more of a apolitical nature.
Civilians serving in key base functions, hell, the whole role of civilians in positions that should be military functions. That has been a growing issue for a decade or more. We might be seeing the effects of stretching too small a military force too thin. What I found troubling today, as the brass went down there,
was a gut feeling that they are avoiding those issues completely. And this, the avoidance of real issues,
the denial about real issues is what has given us real problems for a while. The whole Walter Reed thing,
the troop strength planning for Iraq, the role of civilian contractors, understaffing of domestic facilities, all have been brought up repeatedly by military leaders for years. Every one of them either gets slapped down,
shipped out or fired outright. Today, I heard much about heroic Army troops and new recruits. Probably every story valid. Why no mention of the civilian assistance that was clearly given and needed? Don't want the folks to dwell on that?? It was discouraging to listen to, driving home.