11/11

Post by fatman »

Remember them for they do not grow old :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIOGka3LKI
CUDA
Location: The lone Conservative voice in the Liberal Bastion of Portland Oregon

Re: 11/11

Post by CUDA »

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate - we can not consecrate - we can not hallow - this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

President Abraham Lincoln
November 1863
what can I add to this :|
"In reality, there exists only fact and fiction.
Opinions result from a lack of the former and a reliance on the latter."

ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

I stopped work at 11 a.m. and quietly reflected upon the great sacrifices made for me. I gave the vets the 2 minutes of honor they deserve.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

My son and I had been watching the news coverage and both stood silently for the 2 minutes, then we watched some more coverage and some stuff on the History channel, just so he knows what it was all about.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

You're a good man, Soapy. If we don't teach our kids these things they go about stupid in life. Like Paris Hilton does.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Conga

Post by Conga »

Rugg- perfect example.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

ruggbutt wrote:You're a good man, Soapy. If we don't teach our kids these things they go about stupid in life. Like Paris Hilton does.

My Grandad was shot, blown up, then gassed, between 1916-1918, then he went home and met Gran ( he couldn't get a job in the coal mine after the war as his right lung was fekked ) so he became a stone mason ( for an Irish Catholic at that time it was a major achievement ! )

His Brother went in in 1917 then became a territorial after that war ( like a reservist ) missed the BEF in WW2 but went to North Africa and Sicily then Italy. My Uncle was in from 41, but only saw action from Caen to the end of the war.

After those wars, we have had family in Malaya/Korea/Chad/Falklands/NI/Bosnia/Iraq and now Afghanistan. Plus my mother's uncle ( who died as a Frenchman but was born in Ireland ) was in the Legion and served in Indo China/Vietnam.

My son knows all their stories, and has a good respect for soldiers, and a healthy dislike for policticians, he is 11 years old.

I don't want any of my kids to become soldiers, but, if they really wanted to be, I would support them 100 percent, I'd also support all the asshole politicians who decide that war was the only option when diplomacy has failed, to send their kids in too.

Back to the 2 minute silence, my boy asked me just before it happened, "should we salute ?" I told him no, we are not soldiers, just stand and think about how we have the luxury of not having to be soldiers, because other people were.
CUDA
Location: The lone Conservative voice in the Liberal Bastion of Portland Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Soapy wrote:
ruggbutt wrote:You're a good man, Soapy. If we don't teach our kids these things they go about stupid in life. Like Paris Hilton does.

My Grandad was shot, blown up, then gassed, between 1916-1918, then he went home and met Gran ( he couldn't get a job in the coal mine after the war as his right lung was fekked ) so he became a stone mason ( for an Irish Catholic at that time it was a major achievement ! )

His Brother went in in 1917 then became a territorial after that war ( like a reservist ) missed the BEF in WW2 but went to North Africa and Sicily then Italy. My Uncle was in from 41, but only saw action from Caen to the end of the war.

After those wars, we have had family in Malaya/Korea/Chad/Falklands/NI/Bosnia/Iraq and now Afghanistan. Plus my mother's uncle ( who died as a Frenchman but was born in Ireland ) was in the Legion and served in Indo China/Vietnam.

My son knows all their stories, and has a good respect for soldiers, and a healthy dislike for policticians, he is 11 years old.

I don't want any of my kids to become soldiers, but, if they really wanted to be, I would support them 100 percent, I'd also support all the asshole politicians who decide that war was the only option when diplomacy has failed, to send their kids in too.

Back to the 2 minute silence, my boy asked me just before it happened, "should we salute ?" I told him no, we are not soldiers, just stand and think about how we have the luxury of not having to be soldiers, because other people were.
Soapy its people with your attitude that made my service worth while

My salute to you sir Image

USN 1978-1982
"In reality, there exists only fact and fiction.
Opinions result from a lack of the former and a reliance on the latter."

callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

just a personal tradition....at 11 am on Veterans Day, I always call my Dad. He's the only living WWII vet in my family, and I just take that moment to thank him for his service, and think about all the others.....
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

I called gramps a few minutes before 11. Wished him a happy Veteran's day and gave the rest of the vets the two minutes they deserve. Hell, I talked to gramps the day before to wish his beloved Corps happy birthday. :) My gramps is kinda quiet and usually isn't at a loss for words but I found the one sentence that he doesn't quite know how to respond to: Thanks for serving.

At least he knows I care and appreciate his sacrifices.
All the cool LOMAC stuff