Are you ready to buy the next paid add-on for IL246?

Movies, TV, Music, Videos, Gaming ... all things entertainment.
Jumoschwanz

Are you ready to buy the next paid add-on for IL246?

Post by Jumoschwanz »

Is this team Daidalos going to work with Oleg and Ubi or whoever they have to and put out a large patch for IL246 that we have to purchase?

I hope they do, and I hope they incorporate some new sounds and other things that the unofficial mods brag about.

If this comes about, then the unofficial mods will be in direct competition with them and maybe they will use their official forum to aggresively attack them.

As it is now, the official forum is loosening up on talk about mods and some of the admins there are outright endorsing them.

I am all for dumping another paltry $10-$30 in usa dollars into this thing because I believe it would help the sim and the community in every way.
DKoor

Re: Are you ready to buy the next paid add-on for IL246?

Post by DKoor »

I'm buying. 8-)
And hope they take best modders with them and outlaw the others...
FatCat_99

Post by FatCat_99 »

Jumoschwanz wrote:Is this team Daidalos going to work with Oleg and Ubi or whoever they have to and put out a large patch for IL246 that we have to purchase?
That scenario is not very likely. Mods killed commercial potential of the game. It is hard to imagine that it would be possible to make patch that could sell enough copies. If it was only up to 1C than there could be some chances for that but as international distribution depend on UBI than chances for payed add-on are practically non existent.

What is theoretically possible is repacking the game and introducing new protection system which would make official patch incompatible with mods. That's what I would prefer but what is really going to happen depends mostly on Oleg.

FC
"When You Side With A Man, You Stick With Him"
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Post by Tolwyn »

mod killed potential... what?

Looks over at my copy of Doom and Doom2...

Huh. Wierd.
Jumoschwanz

Post by Jumoschwanz »

Tolwyn wrote:mod killed potential... what?

Looks over at my copy of Doom and Doom2...

Huh. Wierd.
Well Tolwyn, that is a pretty fucking stupid comparison. So fucking stupid that it took me half a month to decide to waste time addressing it. I guess any idiot CAN run an internet forum.

The only money the creators of Doom2 have made off of it for years might be the odd sale of a copy in the Kmart bargain bins. Many years ago players of Doom started making their own maps etc. so the creators had no incentive to make any more for it themselves to try and sell, thanks for helping to prove my point.

IL246 however, as FatCat explains, could have a shot at making money for it's creators and distributors if the next patch for it locked it against use with mods, and if the self-serving-douchebag administrators of the popular servers cared about the sim as much as they cared about themselves, and started running the official version of the sim.

Also it would not hurt if the admins for IL2 forums supported it a bit....
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Post by Tolwyn »

First, asshole.

You made the determination that mods hurt games. That they somehow kill potential.

The ability to mod games is what keeps them alive. Starting with Doom (Wolfenstein 3d couldn't be modified)...

(actually, starting with Muds back in the BBS days)

So get some game cred.

Doom spawned Doom2 spawned (branch) Quake / Final Doom spawned Quakeworld (Valve software begins developing Half Life) spawned Quake2 spawned Quake3 spawned Quake4
branch: Rise of the Triad
branch: Dark Forces (DF 2, Jediknight, etc. etc.)
branch: Strife
branch: Duke Nukem (build engine) spawned Duke Nukem Plutonium Edition spawned Duke it out in DC (etc. etc. etc.) branch again: spawned Shadow Warrior
branch: Heretic spawned Heretic: Shadows of the Serpent Riders (branch2) spawned Hexen (branch2)

branch2: Hexen2 (quake engine)
branch2: Half Life (quake engine)
branch2: Heretic2 (quake2 engine)

Also, insert every single Jedi Knight game, Call of Duty Game, Medal of Honor game, Every Unreal Game, etc. etc. etc.

It goes on and on... all the way up to the games we have today. Without the ability to mod games, the current game environment would be completely different. Half Life was a modified Quake engine. If you weren't allowed to MOD it, Valve wouldn't exist. HL2 wouldn't exist, Portal, TFC (quake), TF2 (source), Counterstrike, etc. etc.

Medal Of Honor, Wolfenstein (the new one), Call of Duty, Rouge Spear, all of these can be traced back to Doom.

Mods create potential. Look at Flight Simulator --> Combat Flight Simulator --> Over Flanders Field, etc. etc. etc.

You are just clueless.
Tolwyn
Site Admin

Post by Tolwyn »

Don't confuse intelligent modding practices with ruining the game.

AAA simply don't have their shit together. It's a bonafide clusterfuck.

UP and HSFX mostly do have their shit together.

But in either case, with a little intelligence and copy/pasting back and forth, you can change your game with ease. Fly on any server you want with a few mouse clicks, including 4.08m, 4.09m "official" patches.

Mods are here to stay, and so is 4.09m. 4.09m is a modification of 4.08m except it's just sanctioned by Maddox. Technically speaking, Maddox have modded their own game no less than 17 times.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

Jumoschwanz wrote: I guess any idiot CAN run an internet forum.
And a functional retard can post in said idiot's forum.

I'm not saying you're an idiot Tolwyn, but sometimes you gotta make a point for the less intelligent.

One more thing, howabout regaling us with stories of your über IL2 madskillz? Cuz that's about the only thing that's impressive about you and it really ain't that impressive.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Dang...Tolwyn don't hold back next time.... :lol:

Them whut complains about how things goes...ought'en have they own server...just sayin....

I was deliberately skittish about mods for years...cuz, I didn't know much about'em....cuz, i didn't do no research....when I did and tried'em...I were impressed...what a wealth of talent out in the field....and certainly a positive influence for the future.....cuz, the past has proved it......Well stated Tolwyn....

Old Pudfark sez: " Hey Jumo...hows that Atari holdin up "
Jumoschwanz

Post by Jumoschwanz »

ruggbutt wrote: One more thing, howabout regaling us with stories of your über IL2 madskillz? Cuz that's about the only thing that's impressive about you and it really ain't that impressive.
I am not the best IL2 pilot out there for sure, but I can certainly handle myself ok. If you ever want to see first hand set it up and I will be there.