Automation

Deliberation. Discourse. Discussion. Debate.
Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: callmeslick

Post Reply
HappyHappy
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Automation

Post by HappyHappy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:48 pm

This is my business, I know it well.
there is simply more productivity so
people like you get less expensive
manufactured stuff.

And there are fewer machinists, time
and the reaper have thinned them out.
"for the record, New Hampshire has a low death rate ONLY because that reflects the fact that New Hampshire is much less densely settled than most of the US. The gun laws have nothing to do with it."

User avatar
callmeslick
Posts: 15997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: Fearing and loathing in Delaware and Virginia.

Re: Automation

Post by callmeslick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 pm

dude, people like me don't BUY mass produced crap. However, we will be buying high end automated produce of some sort. You say, 'this is my business'. How so? I mean,the folks I view as being in the REAL business I'm referring to are Chip Architects, AI software coders and designers, etc. You keep talking about 3D printing. That is a crude sideshow tool. It'll accomplish some things but still needs a lot of human input. Talk to some folks in industrial development, or AI design work. They'll tell you: you have not seen anything. I really am getting the idea that most Americans have no real sense of how profoundly life is going to change in the next decade. Euro folks seem to grasp it far better, and embrace it. Even the Canadians are doing localized experiments around universal citizen income, one of the proposed ways to maintain a civil society. We have a leader blabbering about fucking COAL jobs, for chrissake.
Pudfark wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
I live in Texas....you live in America.

Pudfark
Posts: 15103
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Hosing R_D daily X2 on the Weekends

Re: Automation

Post by Pudfark » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 am

callmeslick wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 pm
That is a crude sideshow tool. It'll accomplish some things but still needs a lot of human input.
Those words above negate this thread totally. Those are your words...you can argue context all you want...but you chose them.
I'll give you a bit of a pass....should you choose to rephrase?
callmeslick wrote:dude, if you think lying and getting caught at it is 'handing my hiney to me', you are dumber than Res
Reservoir_Dog wrote: I DON'T think Slick is right.


Image

User avatar
callmeslick
Posts: 15997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: Fearing and loathing in Delaware and Virginia.

Re: Automation

Post by callmeslick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 pm

not really. I meant what I said, and if you knew what really is in the AI/Robotics/Delivery/Assembly pipeline you'd know. I'm an investor in two firms that have been doing 3D printer design and manufacture. That field is accelerating and morphing so fast it's hard to keep up. What I was inferring is that what Happy has seen from 3D printing/design/assembly is crude and labor intensive compared to what is coming. Not the least knock on Happy, who seems to be involved somehow in machining type work, quality in which is outstanding.

The above bit about machinists brings to mind one more thought as automation becomes more pervasive. There should be a rise in demand for artismal skills, of all sorts, both artistic and utilitarian. There will be money to keep top notch craftsmen and professionals very well paid. Just, not that many of them.
Pudfark wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
I live in Texas....you live in America.

HappyHappy
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Automation

Post by HappyHappy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 pm

3D Printing is far less crude than you want to admit to.
GE and P&W are printing airworthy jet engine
fuel injectors. GE has been 3D printing small planetary
gear boxes and they work.

No, the gear boxes do not yet work as good as precision
machined gear boxes.
It will be some time before they
are good enough to equal the operational
capability of machined units.

But it will happen, just like digital
replacing film in cameras. Remember
how crude the first digital cameras were?

Film is nearly dead, just ask Kodak.
"for the record, New Hampshire has a low death rate ONLY because that reflects the fact that New Hampshire is much less densely settled than most of the US. The gun laws have nothing to do with it."

HappyHappy
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Automation

Post by HappyHappy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

It is obvious you want us to live
in a utopian paradise.

But it is also you are pissin into the wind.

Screw Canada, we aint them and are not
influenced by them.

So just keep on whining.
"for the record, New Hampshire has a low death rate ONLY because that reflects the fact that New Hampshire is much less densely settled than most of the US. The gun laws have nothing to do with it."

User avatar
callmeslick
Posts: 15997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: Fearing and loathing in Delaware and Virginia.

Re: Automation

Post by callmeslick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm

HappyHappy wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 pm
3D Printing is far less crude than you want to admit to.
GE and P&W are printing airworthy jet engine
fuel injectors. GE has been 3D printing small planetary
gear boxes and they work.
I'm well aware of this and much more(remember, I get the investor reports). You haven't seen ANYTHING, trust me. Imagine the AI feeding the commands to the printers addressing minor design flaws in complex multi-part stuff on a 24-7 basis, with no human needed.
Pudfark wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
I live in Texas....you live in America.

HappyHappy
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Automation

Post by HappyHappy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

Arrogance fails to bail you out of a jam.
The thought of you knowing less than me eats you alive.
But I watch this industry closely.
The future is always here.
People adapt. Automation will always advance and advance our lifestyle.

You just whine about the failure of your Marxist Utopia.
"for the record, New Hampshire has a low death rate ONLY because that reflects the fact that New Hampshire is much less densely settled than most of the US. The gun laws have nothing to do with it."

User avatar
callmeslick
Posts: 15997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: Fearing and loathing in Delaware and Virginia.

Re: Automation

Post by callmeslick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 am

you have no clue. No, I'm not aiming for a 'Marxist Utopia'. In fact, Marxism likely won't be any more useful than any other current ideology. What I'm talking about is a wholesale devaluation of human labor. Given that we now use one's employment as a measure of human or self worth, what happens when virtually EVERYONE has no 'job' in the current sense? How do you keep everyone FED?

Oh, and Happy, it isn't arrogance, but from what you've written, I know where your business is headed, long-term apparently better than you. No gloat, no surprise, either.
Pudfark wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
I live in Texas....you live in America.

Pudfark
Posts: 15103
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Hosing R_D daily X2 on the Weekends

Re: Automation

Post by Pudfark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 am

I'm trying my best to stay on topic...and I'll get back to it in a moment. This is the same argument of doom/gloom/despair and we're all hosed...as Climate Change, Global Warming, Carbon Footprint and now Automation. All of it points to How to Control the Masses using the excuse of Calamity/Circumstance. I don't buy it, I won't sell it and I don't have to be a part or 'party' to it. Now, back on subject.

Progress is here to stay. Nothing in Human History indicates it is not. Humans will adapt and overcome or they will perish...they always have. Mathematically speaking, we are getting closer to crapping ourselves off the planet. Nature or Man will take care of that problem....it's never been pretty and it won't be then, either. It is a certainty.
callmeslick wrote:dude, if you think lying and getting caught at it is 'handing my hiney to me', you are dumber than Res
Reservoir_Dog wrote: I DON'T think Slick is right.


Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests