fatman

Flight logs

Post by fatman »

Notice how as time went on it went more to strafing

http://genemcguire.com/Html/FlightLog.htm
ruggbutt

Re: Flight logs

Post by ruggbutt »

There's not much CAP you gotta do when you've effectively grounded the enemy's air force.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
fatman

Post by fatman »

More dangerous with the planes on the ground, love it how he is all matter of fact strafed airfield 1 zero destroyed 2 damaged hit by ack ack bailed out also got a liter of milk on the walk back :lol:
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Distant relation of mine 8-)
Wullie

Post by Wullie »

I interviewed a P-51 driver a few years back. He said after they followed the bombers in and they had started back, that their job was then to go hunting. He said they could always find an airfield to beat up and it was usually one or two of them that got beat up in the process.

If I recall correctly, they would dive in and hit the field between 450mph and 500mph. He said the controls were so tight that they had to fly with the trim wheel, and try to hit something worth while in the process. He said they usually either lost a plane to AA or a pilot would do something wrong and crash. He recounted shooting up at the "flak towers" because their P-51's were so close to the ground. He also said it was suicide to make a second pass, in most cases as the gunners would have your number.

I knew another guy that flew P-47's. He bounced a train one afternoon in France and it was carrying a lot of munitions. When it blew up he flew through the fireball and it and all the shit flying through the air pretty well put his jug out of commission. He headed for home for knowing that it wasn't going to make the trip, but he wanted to get as close as he could. He ended up belly landing in a field near a French village. He climbed out and watched as the Frenchmen started chopping holes in the side of the fuselage. He finally found someone that spoke enough English to tell him they were trying to get the rest of the crew out. They'd never seen a fighter that big and thought it was a bomber.
JoeA

Post by JoeA »

Awesome story Wullie. BTW P-47 rocks. 8-)
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Wullie...that is spot on...a fact...

My uncle was a 51 driver and while in the process of shooting up a Me-262 on final...was shot down by ground fire....right over the base...he told me he was doing 450mph or better when it happened...took big hit in engine and filight controls...he barely got out...was captured and spent the next few months as a guest of the Germans....until Patton came by and gave him a ride home....and no he didn't get the kill on the 262...although it had to belly land on the field....