The attack at Ft. Hood

Darkhorse

Re: The attack at Ft. Hood

Post by Darkhorse »

I hope that they fix this PC problem in our military.
U.S. military doctors overseeing Nidal Malik Hasan's medical training were concerned he was "psychotic" and possibly capable of killing other American soldiers, before the Army major allegedly went on a deadly shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas.

"Put it this way," one official told NPR. "Everybody felt that if you were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, you would not want Nidal Hasan in your foxhole."

One official who participated in the discussions reportedly told others he was worried that if Hasan was deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, he might leak covert military information to Islamic extremists, NPR reported.

Officials considered kicking Hasan out of the program but chose not to partly because firing a doctor is a "cumbersome and lengthy" process that involves hearings and potential legal conflict, sources told NPR.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,574285,00.html
Now we have demonstrable evidence that if you try to lead from behind, eventually the guys up front will stop looking back for instructions.
Government-coerced expression is a feature of dictatorships that has no place in a free country
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

every morning, I've been catching the NPR reportage on this. It is truly frightening that, for so long, they had a known incompetent staff member, clearly unraveling, and the entire psychiatric staff at Walter Reed accepted it. Not once was it demanded that he undergo a psych evaluation. As quoted by Darkhorse, it was 'too difficult' to go through the process of firing him. And, as if to confirm my earlier conjecture, an off-record official clearly stated this morning, "we sort of all hoped he would go to Ft. Hood and kind of disappear." Thanks for your service to the nation, folks.......sheesh! :shock:
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

And another soapbox moment(sorry, but.....) that has been occurring to me, out of this whole tragic incident: If what we've seen out of the W.Reed staff indicates the quality of psychiatric expertise at the top level, what sort of care is the rest of our military getting? How much bureaucracy, process, and willingness to pass the buck goes into the huge numbers of men and women, serving us in battle, and experiencing psychological trauma? Maybe the reason this riles me is that I'm old enough to remember seeing a whole generation of combat troops return to a lack of aftercare, and then watching the nation, in large part, come to view all Vietnam vets as ticking timebombs, or societal 'problems'. Have we failed, so completely, to learn the lessons of that experience, only a few decades past?? If we're going to send men and women into harm's way, then, by God we should provide them EVERYTHING they need to return to our society adjusted, supported and provided for when needed. Talk about service, honor and heroes is cheap. They deserve better than talk.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Exactly Correct Slick....we both saw all of that from the sixties and seventies.....some of you folks following this thread, do not know and were never taught or informed of the way soldiers were mistreated after Vietnam..... My fear and possibly Slicks...is that the service our troops are providing our country is far more mentally demanding than the Vietnam war...

Vietnam was a one tour war...unless you volunteered for another tour....We have soldiers that are coming up on 7 and 8 tours of combat...and they didn't volunteer for that many....and the army won't let them go....yes, they are being forced and extended on their tours....If, the Vietnam Vets are any indication of mental trauma and its consequences? Our Soldiers now, are gonna end up "nuttier than a squirrel turd"....and it will be to late....We owe our soldiers more than rhetoric and bickering....We owe them our lives....

Respectfully,

Old Pudfark.....
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

callmeslick wrote:I've been catching the NPR reportage on this
Well, that explains why you don't quite understand what's going on.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Pudfark wrote:Exactly Correct Slick....we both saw all of that from the sixties and seventies.....some of you folks following this thread, do not know and were never taught or informed of the way soldiers were mistreated after Vietnam..... My fear and possibly Slicks...is that the service our troops are providing our country is far more mentally demanding than the Vietnam war...
well, perhaps not harder, but different and every bit as stressful. Add to that the survival rates these days of brain trauma victims, and you have a potential problem.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

ruggbutt wrote:
callmeslick wrote:I've been catching the NPR reportage on this
Well, that explains why you don't quite understand what's going on.

actually, NPR is by far the most thorough source on this whole story. They have the luxury of being able to report a longer story, and the good sense not to clutter it up with opinions and talking-heads. Also, on a related note, NPR is the only major outlet with reporters near-constantly embedded and reporting with both Army and Marines in Afghanistan. They have devoted half-hour segments to reports that depend heavily upon the views of the participants. Very good stuff, and solid views from all angles. If you haven't listened to it, ruggie, you might do well not to dismiss NPR out of hand. For solid, unbiased news coverage of the key stories of the day, no other media outlet in the US comes close.
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

Ok Slickmeister. I'll check it out. You were convincing this time around.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

you da man. Give Stern a rest for a few days. ;)
ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

I'll never give up the Stern show.
All the cool LOMAC stuff