First Debate goes to Obama...

callmeslick

Re: First Debate goes to Obama...

Post by callmeslick »

I felt bad for Lehrer....and, CUDA, my question was a honest one. The big issue that I saw firing up twitter all night was the long-proven lie about Medicare, and this morning I heard Factcheck questioning a Romney claim around Dodd/Frank legislative details, nothing about Obama. I could easily have missed it.....hell, I've barely been able to see for the past week after little grandaughter poked me in one eye with two fingers!
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Pudfark wrote:Well...I said in another thread...I'd watch it on MSNBC...I did.
After watching FOX News for the last several years....totally my bad.
I've seen the light, now. The encouraging words/explanation of the Obama
victory...this evening, have just blown me away.... How could I have been so
wrong...the last, few, many years, all my life. At first, I didn't get it. Thanks to the
anchors and commentators, it finally sunk in. Quite a bit, like the Titanic and or an
ice pick in the back of the head. I've come around. And around. More yet around.
I've discovered?
That the spin is in, belatedly.
Formerly, the world just turned....
Now it spins.
Now that I'm aligned?
In parallel?
Perhaps, reluctantly... occasionally perpendicular?
My bubble is level.

Damn, the wife said?
I could have one more..."libation".
Obviously...it's three.

Sarcasm is a word, sometimes a statement or attitude.... ;)
Tonight?
Personified it.
All the way around 8-)
This man can set back syntax in the English language 500 years with one post. :lol:
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

callmeslick wrote:I felt bad for Lehrer....and, CUDA, my question was a honest one. The big issue that I saw firing up twitter all night was the long-proven lie about Medicare, and this morning I heard Factcheck questioning a Romney claim around Dodd/Frank legislative details, nothing about Obama. I could easily have missed it.....hell, I've barely been able to see for the past week after little grandaughter poked me in one eye with two fingers!
Ah yes, the lie that Medicare administrative costs are lower than insurance company's......
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Barfly, that one has been statistically proven for years. By 1 to 10 Medicare overhead costs are cheaper, which stands to reason, since there are no execs getting massive salaries, nor stockholders expecting dividend checks. To call that fact a lie shows how truly out of touch you are.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

callmeslick wrote:Barfly, that one has been statistically proven for years. By 1 to 10 Medicare overhead costs are cheaper, which stands to reason, since there are no execs getting massive salaries, nor stockholders expecting dividend checks. To call that fact a lie shows how truly out of touch you are.
No it means I'm at least minimally critical of information disseminated of a political nature. Wow. Those private providers must really be screwing people! Look at all the efficiency that can be gained by allowing the government to replace a free-market provided service..... I'm not the one out of touch.

Medicare costs overall are only lower when you do the obvious - remove all free, off-budget help from associated government agencies. Overhead costs of IRS tax collection that funds Medicare - off-budget. HHS does 'free' accounting, auditing, handles fraud issues, pays for marketing costs, building costs, etc. Although payed for by tax dollars, Medicare is 'tax-free'; taxes on private providers are part of administrative costs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2011/0 ... ive-costs/
http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... -insurance
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

hell, take away the dividends and the picture changes, too. I'm dealing in the bottom line reality. You are dealing in Glenn Beck school hatred of government. Sorry, but government does a lot of good for a whole lot of people. Ignoring that fact is just stupid.
Back to the original topic, how soon do we think that the debate fades from view given the new unemployment numbers? What they do show is that, while it took 3 years, Obama did get to his stated target.
As I posted elsewhere, this is a great investment market for those of you with the resources. Domestic stocks and corporate bonds have been climbing ever since Obama opened up his lead post-convention. I repositioned a smallish chunk last week and made 1.8% on it in 4 days. Notably, the one bad day was the day after the debate, but it still went up a wee bit.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I just read unemployment dropped below 8% for Sept.

Oops! Romney lies again.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Slick, no pun, no sarcasm, no lie.
Have you ever worked directly for the Government, with other Government Employees?
Your comments about the "government" doing things better, more efficiently indicate you have not. That's not a put down to your person.

It used to be, imho, that only the "sworn to oath" folks in the government truly were of a demonstrated value. Probably had that opinion, because I mostly worked with them.

Our Government has far to many employees. This burden, expense is killing all of us financially. More bureaucratic government involvement is a waste. Making more government jobs will not fix our economy. New private sector jobs will.

Over the last four years, it has become increasingly noted, that Obama's administration has no accountability or responsibility. When government does not have those two prerequisites? There is no way in hell that they can compete with a for profit private venture.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Buzz wrote:I just read unemployment dropped below 8% for Sept.

Oops! Romney lies again.
That's great news...for Obama...though, several years late.
Who compiled the numbers?
Oh, the Obama Administration.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Pudfark wrote:Slick, no pun, no sarcasm, no lie.
Have you ever worked directly for the Government, with other Government Employees?
yes, two years with the Connecticut Health System
Over the last four years, it has become increasingly noted, that Obama's administration has no accountability or responsibility. When government does not have those two prerequisites? There is no way in hell that they can compete with a for profit private venture.
atter nonsense, Pud, likely based on your personal opinion of Obama. The truth is that accoutability and responsibility have been increased greatly over the bureaucracy compared to any time in the past 20 years, that I can see. He has started the long, slow process of weeding out programs that don't work, and has, to be sure, added new programs that will need to be tested over the coming years. Still, to claim that something, hell, ANYTHING got terribly worse about the structure of government over the past 4 years is laughable.