I won a contest.

Buzz

I won a contest.

Post by Buzz »

I post a lot on a bamboo fishing forum. A very snobbish group, but I get along anyway. Lots of well known bamboo makers post there.

Anyway, the owner of Cold Creek Rod Co. decided to have a contest for the members. It was just one question.

"What's the difference in a left hand, and right hand bamboo rod, and how would you make it?"

I was one of the first to answer. I said there's no such thing, and if you needed one, you should learn to how to cast.

Mt answer got ignored, and everyone went on to explain the difference, and how they could be made. It got very technical from the rod builders. The thread was ran for a month before the answer was given. It went on for quite a few pages. Along the way some agreed with me without agreeing with me. If you know what I mean.

Well, it turned out I was right. Along with those who agreed with me. :mrgreen:

The prizes were a paid fishing vacation, a bamboo rod, and a week long class on building your own bamboo rod.

I had no interest in the fishing trip, because I have the best fishing around me now. With my eyesight I wouldn't want to own a rod I built, so I took the built rod. I'm not sure what the rod is worth, because he's setting up a new shop in Mich, and the web sight doesn't have prices on it yet. I'm going to guess the going price for a well built rod today at $1200+.

Not bad for doing what I do for free on forums. So far i'm showing a profit for the time I spend on fishing forums. Now, if I could get paid for all the time I waste here!
fatman

Re: I won a contest.

Post by fatman »

Congrats dude its like christmas in march :D
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

easily worth a grand, plus the special joy of winning it with your wits!! Atttaboy, Buzz!!
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

The owner finally got back to me this morning. The rod would cost $2100 to buy. Good grief!!

I believe it will become my new favorite rod. I wanted a short dry fly rod for my mountain creeks. He's going to make a 6 1/2' 3wt for me. It should be done for June.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I've always liked the stream rods better. :)
I really liked, in the past, sneaking up on trout.
Congrats Buzz, glad to know it went to someone who could appreciate/use it.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Great stuff Buzz :)
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

What I love about small streams besides the setting, is you can use dry flies about 95% of the time. What can be better than that? Nymphs have always seemed like bait fishing to me.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Geez, Buzz....free rod, free flies. If it weren't for the back thing, your angling Karma for the year would be tip-top!!
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

by the way, Buzz, I finally plan to kick off the fishing season next weekend(unless too much snow up there in the PA mountains). I'm making a dozen fresh marabou streamers(weighted a bit) to poke around the edges for big old trout.....
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Good luck. Our creeks aren't ready yet, but I did fish the Arkansas River yesterday with midges. So so fishing right now. Too much snow to get over the passes to the tailwaters. They're fishing good right now.

Some snow this weekend, but 50-60's all next week. Maybe it will get better around here.