Honest Question for ACWOS Members

No Politics.
Larry
Site Admin

Re: Honest Question for ACWOS Members

Post by Larry »

I am planning to migrate the site this weekend.. so if you see it offline for a short time, you know why.
The admin formerly known as Oz..
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Larry wrote:I am planning to migrate the site this weekend.. so if you see it offline for a short time, you know why.
do your best, but I still don't see where people are going to migrate back to the place, or why new members would come here. Let's face it, BBs have sort of
become passe to a great degree, unless there is a HIGH degree of speciality in the board focus. For instance, I am a member of a very longstanding audio hobby board, and another devoted to fine art. Both have memberships in the low 10,000 range. Now, this place never saw that sort of membership, nor ever seemed to seek same. If you need some bucks for the maintenence and all, PM me, but include a rationale as to HOW we go forward.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

My two centavos......

For what's ever it's worth?
It seems to me...that this older forum format...is/was partially responsible for some of the headaches, especially as R_D pointed out when 'registration' was re-opened and the 'bot' flood began again.

I believe that migrating ACWOS to a more modern/secure format, along with open (but very secure) registration, might breathe in some new life to the area that you guys have so unselfishly provided for so long.

I know that there used to be a bunch of flight simmers who came here.....that is how I found this place years ago. A lot of them came here to blow off some steam in your forums....so, as not to banned in the official ones.

I run two gaming (Insurgency Servers), which is nothing like what you do/have provided here. I'm just saying that there is an element to effort/work here and I'm aware of it. I much appreciate Tolwyn and Larry holding up the umbrella here for so long for so many. I support their choice, whatever it may be? I would be willing to help, whatever direction they may take?

@Chipz
Despite all the flying fecal material upon occasion here in ACWOS?
You have always, most respectfully, remained a lady.
That picture that was requested? Doesn't necessarily have to be of you..... 8-)
Reservoir_Dog
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir_Dog »

Larry
Site Admin

Post by Larry »

Pud, I am open to trying a 'new and more secure' platform.. What would you recommend in place of phpbb? I've played with many different open source platforms, and its hard to beat the portability and community support of phpbb.

CWoS had its place, and like a few of you mentioned, its past its prime.. But rather than abandoning things, I'm open to trying anything.

This place started many moons ago as a place for friends to bullshit around, then it exploded (relatively) into something fun, a place to people to vent, joke around, or just piss on others opinions. We have had a few trouble makers along the way too.

I don't think that the idea of niche forums are a thing of the past yet, but I do believe things will go that way. who know, perhaps it will swing back around.

If a new platform solves more of the 'bots' problem, great.. Some of the features in the newer releases of php will help too.

I dunno, I figure fuck it, no harm in simply moving the data, opening the flood gates, and see what happens..
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Thanks Larry...I have this curse that I read a lot and read fast....I'll do some googling on the subject and post here. I sorta felt for years that when registration was closed here....it was like the knot in the rope, around the horse thief's neck. I have been elsewhere on other phpbb sites and have observed that newer versions exist. Perhaps with better 'registration' security? I hope so... I'll look and I'll post what I find.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Reservoir_Dog wrote:Image

Larry
Site Admin

Post by Larry »

I may more the forum this afternoon if I have the time. And it will be onto the latest versions. We should be able to see pretty quick if it is any better..
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

early report on current version phpbb security: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2286186
"Re: how secure is the phpbb system?
Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:10 pm

they were wrong.

phpbb2 had some problems but not nearly as bad as some sites suggested.

phpbb3 has not had a successful hack to phpbb yet as far as I know.

you can lock up the wife and kiddies behind phpbb and sleep at night.

robert
3.0.x Website style integration and phpbb style updates.

@Larry
I'm still on the hunt for more info...
phpbb installs, MOD/Extension installs, etc. personal one on one support"
callmeslick

Post by callmeslick »

Larry wrote:We have had a few trouble makers along the way too.
and yet, you allowed me to stay. Thanks! :) ;)

I dunno, I figure fuck it, no harm in simply moving the data, opening the flood gates, and see what happens..
your attitude is admirable.
Pudfark wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am I live in Texas....you live in America.